- John McCrea – Lead vocals, Acoustic guitar, Piano, Vibraslap
- Vince DiFiore – Trumpet, Keyboards, Melodica, Guiro, Background vocals
- Xan McCurdy – Electric guitar, Background vocals
- Gabe Nelson – Bass guitar, Background vocals
- Paulo Baldi – Drums, Cowbell, Tambourine, Background vocals
As they approach their twentieth anniversary, CAKE’s adherence to their original guiding principles has only grown stronger. Formed in the early nineties as a somewhat antagonistic answer to grunge, which they saw as just another form of big, dumb American rock, CAKE’s democratic processes, defiant self-reliance, and lucid yet ever-inventive music has made them a nation-state unto themselves, with no obvious peers, belonging to no school.
By maintaining their ideals while continuing to challenge themselves artistically and professionally, CAKE has managed to not only survive - across six studio albums and tireless touring - but to thrive. “We still exist,” explains McCrea, “because we’ve always stayed outside of current trends. We’ve watched them inflate and deflate. We’ve never been invited to the party, so we’ve never had to leave the party whether the police arrived or not. It’s a sad and beautiful world.”